- Join Variety for an exclusive day at Sesame Place®
- Join Variety for an exclusive day at Sesame Place® on Saturday, November 1, 2014 from 10:00AM …read more...
- All Events »
Variety Philadelphia Receives $20,000 Grant From Comcast Foundation
Variety – The Children’s Charity of Greater Philadelphia was granted $20,000 to purchase tablet computers and applications for use in their Direct Care for Kids program.
Variety’s “Direct Care for Kids” program provides special needs children with durable medical equipment such as wheelchairs, walkers, braces and therapeutic bicycles at no cost to the families.
Through this grant, Variety will partner with Temple University’s Institute on Disabilities to provide training sessions for tablet recipients, specifically children with special needs in low income communities.
The training sessions will include instruction on using the tablets as well as providing projects that the children can work on during the training. Variety anticipates that the use of these new devices will help the children improve in speech, sociability, sensory/cognitive awareness and overall behavior. Amy Goldman, Co-Executive Director, Institute on Disabilities at Temple University, shared:
“Mary Pat Radabaugh, Director of IBM National Support Center for Persons with Disabilities said, ‘For Americans without disabilities, technology makes things easier. For Americans with disabilities, technology makes things possible.’ We are excited to work with Variety to help open doors for children with disabilities. Kids have so much potential! If we give people technology needed when they are children, we hope that will lead to higher school achievement, employment and independence.”
To be eligible, applicants must have met all of the criteria:
- Have a household income at 400% of Federal Poverty Guidelines or less
- Have access or ability to access the internet
- Have the ability to purchase recommended durability case
- Print and complete attached application (See below)
- Complete the pre- and post- Autism Treatment Evaluation Checklist (ATEC) available here
- Be able to attend specified trainings at Temple University’s Institute on Disabilities
This was a grant from 2013. Please know that we are no longer accepting applications!